Help with autoconf/automake from example - please?

Hi,

I'm trying to get my configure.in and makefile.am files for a package to
compile under GNOME right using the example in the GTK+/GNOME Application
Development book.  When I run my autoconf.sh I get moaned at by automake and
configure.  I get these messages:

Automake:

Makefile.am : variable GNOMEUI_LIBS not defined
Makefile.am : variable GNOME_LIBDIR not defined

configure:

./configure: GNOME_INIT: command not found
./configure: GNOME_COMPILE_WARNINGS: command not found

When I run make I (obviously) get missing headers and linkage problems.  I
am using a fresh Mandrake 7.2 installation.  I have got the gnome-*-devel,
gtk+-*-devel and glib-*-devel packages installed.  I think I'm just missing
the macros but I'm not sure.  Could anyone help me out?  If I have hit the
wrong list, please forgive me and point me in the right place.  I'd really
appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

--
Robin

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to seek permission."
  - Rear Admiral Dr. Grace Hopper