Re: all-no-@BUILD_INCLUDED_LIBINTL@

Mathieu Lacage <mathieu gnu org> writes:

> hi all,
>
> anyone got an idea on how to fix the folowing error ?
>
> gettext:  0.10.36
> automake: 1.4
> autoconf: 2.13
> xml-i18n-tools: 0.8.2 (cvs stable branch 2 days old)
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/stuff/sources/gnumeric/intl'
> make[2]: *** no rule to build target `all-no- BUILD_INCLUDED_LIBINTL@',
> needed for `all-no'. Stop
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/stuff/sources/gnumeric/intl'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Downgrade to gettext-0.35. ;-(

Basically, the intl/ from gettext-0.36 is incompatible with
AM_GNOME_GETTEXT.

There are basically three approaches here to fixing this.

 - Use AM_GNU_GETTEXT; some of the breakage that inspired
   AM_GTK_GETTEXT/AM_GNOME_GETTEXT has since been fixed.

   However, we still want the policy "never build intl/" since
   gtk/gnome-libs require a librarized gettext or nothing, and it
   doesn't make sense for things that depend on them to build
   with an included gettext.

   So, this approach isn't really right. Plus the new AM_GNU_GETTEXT
   refuses to link against anything but GNU libc gettext
   or gettext-0.10.36.

 - Fix AM_GNOME_GETTEXT to work with the new intl/. Shouldn't be that
   hard.

 - Convert to AM_GLIB_GETTEXT from GLib head which is much
   more aggressive than AM_GNOME_GETTEXT and is meant
   to be used without gettextize; no intl/ directory at all.

                                        Owen