Re: Trash can

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 12:24:51PM -0400, Liam Quin wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 11:03:18AM +0100, Manuel Arriaga wrote:
> > I have written a shared library which, when preloaded, intercepts calls to
> > GNU libc's unlink() function and makes sure that those files won't be
> > deleted, but rather stored in a different directory.
>
> Some initial thoughts:
>
> For gmc and nautilus users, there's already a trash can.

Right. But I suppose it isn't completely obvious to every user why deleting
a file with a few mouse clicks generates a different behaviour from using a
command line. :-)

> Do all temporary files might end up in the trash can?
> What if I run a gnome-terminal and from that compile the kernel, do
> all the compiler tmp files (tens of thousands of them?) end up in
> my thash can? :-)
> Maybe an option to disable this if the files were in /tmp ?

It is already built-in. You can specify a list of TMP_DIRS under which files
are really unlinked. A few other options are also available.

> [snip]
> Does your code work with non-GNU libc code?  E.g. on Solaris?

I don't know. The lib itself only uses ISO C together with a few Unix
specific system calls (the only GNU libc specific function used is
get_current_dir_name() rather than getcwd(), which might easily be changed).

- Manuel Arriaga