Re: gnome_show_url() hangs in threaded programs

On 2001.08.22 22:11 Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Pawel Salek <pawsa theochem kth se> writes:
> >
> > I have impression that something has got broken in gnome_show_url() and
> > related functions (or perhaps, a bug has surfaced that has not been
> active
> > earlier).
> >
> > Basically, if you start any thread in your program (you can detach it
> or
> > not, join it or keep it running), gnome_show_url() will hang (tested
> with
> > gnome-libs-1.2.13).
>
> gnome-libs is completely unthreadsafe; it doesn't have any locks in it
> whatsoever, and tons of global data.

Does it matter here? At the moment of the hang, there is only main thread
running. The only reason to hang is that there is a thread created that
only prints a string and quits. I guess printf is MT-safe, isn't it?
(actually, I made the thread function *empty* and it still hangs. It seems
completely irrelevant if gnome-libs has global data or not.

/Pawel