Re: gnome_show_url() hangs in threaded programs

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Toralf Lund wrote:

> On 2001.08.23 23:29 Pawel Salek wrote:
> >
> > On 2001.08.22 21:52 Pawel Salek wrote:
> > > I have impression that something has got broken in gnome_show_url() and
> > > related functions (or perhaps, a bug has surfaced that has not been
> > > active earlier).
> >
> > After closer investigation, I think the problem is in gthread library. I
> > attach a test program with does some threading and forking at the same
> > time.
> > The program WorksForMe(TM) when compiled as follows:
> > # cc atfork-test.c -lthread
> >
> > The program hangs when compiled as follows:
> > # cc atfork-test.c -lgthread -lglib
>
> cc atfork-test.c -lgthread-1.3 -lglib-1.3
>
> hangs as well (-lgthread will link with version 1.2 of glib; I'm assuming
> this is the common setup.)

Do you still see the problems if you link with:
  cc atfork-test.c `glib-config --cflags --libs gthread`

Or equivalently for 1.3:
  cc atfork-test.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs gthread-2.0`

If those cases don't work, then report it as a bug.  Relying on the
dynamic linker to pull in pthread as a dynamic dependency is asking for
trouble.  Various C library functions change behaviour after linking with
pthread (for instance, errno changes).

James.

--
Email: james daa com au