Re: BonoboPreview initiative - png in a control

Hello,

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Michael Meeks wrote:
>         Storing a PNG seems like the most excellent idea for the default -
> clearly if the interface is expressed in terms of a control - then if more
> is needed then more than a simple PNG view can be activated; similarly
> with a control we can attach some properties that will help with
> accessibility.
>
> 	Similarly, if we store a PNG in the file - we have the advantage
> that we can use this inside Nautilus somewhat quickly and efficiently.

There has been some discussion about a general thumbnail storing mechanism
on freedesktop.org. This way, we can reuse the ones generated from other
programs even from other desktop environments.

The latest announcement of the thumbnail management standard draft (TMS)
is here:
https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xdg-list/2001-August/000161.html

Please note: It's a little bit outdated now, since I am reworking it
currently with some major changes.

However, IMO this is the first step you have to do if you want to provide
a thumbnail mechanism. How the thumbs are obtained, through a
Bonobo-Control or a C-library, is more or less an implementation detail.

Worth noting: There exists a preliminary version of libthumb [1], a
library for accessing thumbnails as specified in the TMS. Maybe this
storing mechanism could be just wrapped by a bonobo control.

Regards,

   Jens

[1] http://triq.net/~pearl/libthumb.php

--
"Wer die Freiheit aufgibt, um Sicherheit zu gewinnen, wird am Ende beides
verlieren." -- Benjamin Franklin