Re: Message Boxes / 5:3 Ratio

Liam Quin <liam holoweb net> writes:

> I am not sure what a message box is (dialogue box?)

Yes, that's what I meant.

> but I'm interested in 5:3 -- in typography, 4:3, the golden ration,
> 1:sqrt(2) and 2:3 are all preferred over 5:3, although 5:3 is better
> than many other ratios.

Sorry, I don't have documents available; "5:3" came out of my memory...
I better should have said:  Please make sure we'll not see dialog boxes
consisting of one long line (100 or more characters) and OK button just
below; I'm exaggerating:

| Now you're printer is configured and you can start to do real work. |
|                               [ OK ]                                |

Okay, most dialogs are not that weird ;) Better use (I'm bad in ASCII
art!):

| Now you're printer is configured and you |
| can start to do real work.               |
|                  [ OK ]                  |

I'm told for the time being you've to design these boxes manually (no
automatic text wrapping); gtk 2.x might be able to help.

> Where did 5:3 come from?

I'm sorry for the confusion.

Next point: please avoid centered label (please, check the control
center and sawfish!).  This doesn't look that nice; often it's even more
bewildered:

zzz z zzzz z zzz zz zzzz: [_________________________]
aaa aa aaaa aaa a aaa aaa
aaaa aa aa aa aaaaaaaa aa [_________________________]
       aaa aaaa:

--
work : ke suse de                          |                   ,__o
     : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |                 _-\_<,