Re: Solaris and control-center

Hi David,

I think I can take a good stab at this for you:

David White wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I ran into the problem discused in a thread here last year "Solaris v2.6 - is
> it supported?"
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-devel-list/2000-September/msg00195.html
>
> Got everything to compile and install all the way till I got to
> control-center-1-.2.4.  Ran into
> "libcapplet.so:attempted multiple inclusion of file"
> [more below]

That wasn't it.  That was just a warning.

Here's the error:   ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors.

ld failed to link because libXpm was needed but was not listed
using the syntax -lXpm.  Nowhere in the output was -lXpm.

> XpmFreeXpmImage                     /usr/local/lib/libgtkxmhtml.so
> XpmCreateXpmImageFromBuffer         /usr/local/lib/libgtkxmhtml.so
> XpmGetErrorString                   /usr/local/lib/libgtkxmhtml.so
> XpmFreeXpmInfo                      /usr/local/lib/libgtkxmhtml.so
> XpmCreateXpmImageFromData           /usr/local/lib/libgtkxmhtml.so
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to
> .libs/theme-selector-capplet

Often, people fix errors like this with

    LIBS="-lXpm" ./configure blah blah blah

but that's not a good idea in this case, because -lXpm is searched
for during configure.  If it's not being found during configure, then
you want to know why.  So your job now is to look at the -lXpm section
of config.log and determine why it was not found and fix it.  Most likely
it was not found because of a symbol referencing error of its own that
you will solve with a LIBS statement.  I often have to add LIBS="-lnsl"
to most Gnome apps I configure on UnixWare 7, which is similar to Solaris.

Paste in the portion of config.log if you need help.

Take care,
Matthew