Re: gnome-libs and DB3

Christian Marillat wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Somebody can tell me how to compile gnome-libs against libdb3 3.2.9 ?
>
> I got this error :
>
> gnome-dump.o: In function `main':
> /home/marillat/src/debian/gnome-libs-1.2.12/libgnome/gnome-dump.c:75:
> undefined reference to `__db185_open'
>
> Christian

Unless things have changed, the Gnome-Libs readme says to
use db-2.7.7 - because it's the only one that works :)
(Though I noticed some lidbb3 stuff, it never worked).

If you do an
        nm libdb.so | egrep open
you'll see there is no __db185_open in there, so how could
it work?  I certainly can't solve that one.  2.7.7 is simple.
It just works.

Once you install db-2.7.7, you'll probably want to
symlink libdb.so, db.h, and db185.h over to /usr/local/lib
and /usr/local/include, because BDB puts itself into
     /usr/local/BerkeleyDB???/lib
     /usr/local/BerkeleyDB???/include
and those paths aren't searched, so you'll be finding yourself adding
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB/lib CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB/include
to your configure command too many times for your own sanity :)

BTW, I had your problem and it took me a few weeks of working
with Sleepycat and others to figure this one out.  The answer
was in the archive for this list, just so you know.  For your
future problems that might help.

Take it easy,
Matthew