Re: report on [bad] status of i18n of gnome apps - somebody should explicitly care about it

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, val wrote:

 Hi,

> JS> > * Properly setting charset name in header and for each attachment of
> JS> >   text/plain type, properly encode body per settings
> JS>
> JS> again, we do this too.
> Hello
> Evo 0.9.
> LANG=ru_RU.KOI8-R.
> charset-encoding in the mail-header == iso8859-5
>
> (In Evo 0.8 it was "iso8859-1", so we have a big progress -- iso8859-5 is one of the "russian"
> encoding =)
>
> Try to explain why.

 As for this - that's not fatal since mail body is in iso-8859-5 too. All
properly MUAs would be able to read that message.. I repeat - that's not
fatal. (though I don't know whether Netscape Communicator knows iso-8859-5).
 But of course means for selecting charset the mails sent in should be
provided to the user. That's mostly for compatibility with broken MUAs and SMS
gateways.

 As for this particular problem  - I guess just moving iso8859-5 after koi8-r
description in /camel/camel-charset-map-private.h will make koi8-r the
default encoding for russian.

> Best wishes
> Valek frob df ru

 Best regards,