Re: Anjuta

Naba Kumar <kh_naba yahoo com> writes:

> Yotam Medini wrote:
>
> > > I cannot do local installation for Anjuta?
> > >
> > > A: Take my advice. Do system installation (you must be root to do
> > > that) and not local installation. Anjuta depends on Gnome for
> > > supplying pixmaps and Anjuta help works with gnome-help-browser, non
> > > of which will be happy if you do local installation.
> >
> > But on the machine I work at work - I do _not_ have root acceess.
> > Many Gnu-packeges can build themselevs given any prefix, for
>
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>

> > target installation, but still refer to more basic packages
> > installed elsewhere. May be you would like to consider such appoach.
> >

> Have you tried with any gnome packages? Gnome packages
> install the pixmaps in the dir $(datadir)/pixmaps/<package_name>
> and the help files in the dir $(datadir)/gnome/help/<package_name>.
>
> where, $(datadir) is the output of: gnome-cofig --datadir.
>
> So, if the gnome is system installed, then naturally, all the packages
> are required to put there stuffs wrt this $(datadir) which require them
> to be system installed. Otherwise, when the program is run, gnome
> wouldn't be able to find the pixmaps and the help for this application.
>
> I am not very clear how a gnome application can do local installation
> and put there stuffs in custom $(datadir) and still gnome could find
> these stuffs. Can anybody, help with this?

It's unfortunately not really doable with GNOME 1.[024].  I think we
wrote a better system for GNOME 2.0 at one point, though I don't know
the state of HEAD well enough to make an authoritative statement.  This
is pretty easy to fix, so it would be good to make sure that it is
fixed.

Thanks,
-Jonathan