Issuing Private IOCTL

Hi,

I'm working on a small project (http://gwifiapplet.sourceforge.net) to
create a wireless lan card manager in Linux that will allow a user to
manipulate settings as they would with the windows applets.
Specifically, I'm looking at things that are important during a travel
situation (where you're outside of your configured settings).

What ways do people usually get around this without setuid'ing the
program? The only thing I can think of is to break out the config stuff
from the main applet into a separate program and then install it so that
it uses userhelper to launch. This way, the applet menu will not just
open the window, but actually launch another program. Does this make
sense?

Sujal

--
------ Sujal Shah ---- sujal sujal net