Re: strcasecmp/tolower/toupper breakage

on 5/4/01 1:35 AM, Christopher James Lahey at clahey ximian com wrote:

> What is the use of these functions?  If we're doing comparisons of
> strings in a case-insensitive way, shouldn't we always use a utf8
> strcoll?  What use is it other than that?

There are places where you want to to compare plain ASCII strings in a
case-insensitive way. One example is when you are comparing MIME types or
URI schemes. Another is looking at classic HTML tags (not XMHTML, of
course).

For all these places, it's useful to have strcasecmp, tolower, toupper,
islower, and isupper that don't try to adjust to the user's locale.

    -- Darin