dubugging included widgets

If I download some external widget like Gtkeditor to use in my app, do a
configure/make/make install, then include it with the -lgtkeditor
compiler thingy when building my app, how can I then step into the code
for Gtkeditor?  When gtkeditor seg faults gdb throws me into the source
however, when I set a break point I get all these "no source file named
gtktextlayout.c" errors. I've set the gdb source path using the dir
command but that doesn't seem to help.

Any expert gdb help here would be greatly appreciated.
Thomas Morris.
begin:vcard
n:Morris;Thomas
tel;cell:+49 177 2857370