Re: Makefile and includes

On 27 May 2001, Eric Gillespie, Jr. wrote:

> On Sun, 27 May 2001 10:12:35 +0000 (UTC),
> corsepiu faw uni-ulm de (Ralf Corsepius) said:
>
>     > Just a piece of advice: $(..) is a bash proprietary
>     > shell-construct.  As configure.ins are supposed to be
>
> Uh, no. That's POSIX sh, and is actually preferred, since you can
> nest it. Just try nesting the `foo` construct.

I don't think it belongs to POSIX sh. AFAIK, it's an extension borrowed
from the Korn Shell. Maybe it appears in later versions of POSIX, but I
don't think it does in the early ones.

For one, I know that the Solaris /bin/sh does not accept it and generates
a weird manner.

What I do agree is that it is generally a better idea than the back-ticks.

However, while bash, zsh and ash all support it, the fact that the
/bin/sh's of proprietary UNIXes don't would usully deter one from using
it in configure scripts.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish