Gnome Dock weirdness

I'm writing a GNOME client for the game Crossfire, and I've come across an
odd problem.  I'm trying to make the various info and inventory boxes into
dock items and everything seems right in the code, but when I run it it
doesn't remember the placement for the dock items and several of the items
don't show up at all.  Also, if I make the map view into a dock item it
crashes the program when it tries to draw the map (it draws each tile into
GtkDrawingAreas that are put into GnomeCanvasWidgets)  Any ideas what could
be wrong?  Better yet, any ideas how to fix it? :)  The map view problem
isn't my major concern, since I can just make it the main window contents
instead and it works fine, I mainly need to know how to fix the dock
problem.  Well, thanks in advance.

--
-- --
Reeve the cat

On November 13, Felix Unger was asked to remove himself from his place
of residence.
----END FORTUNE----