Re: Gnome App and RPC

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Chris Nystrom wrote:

> I am working on a Gnome graphical application that registers some RPC
> calls. Basically I want an app on another server to call my app to display
> something graphically. I believe this is basically how X works.
>
> However, Gnome requires the gtk_main() function and the RPC functions need
> the svc_run() function. Unfortunatly neither return during normal
> operation, so how can I do both? Will I need fork off a process?

You will need to do some integration between the RPC main loop and Gtk+
main loop. This would involve using the svc_pollfd information to get the
glib main loop to call a callback of yours, and then in that callback
calling svc_getreq_poll() or somesuch.

Alternately, you could use CORBA, which is a more modern version of the
same thing, and which has an implementation already well integrated into
and supported by GNOME.

-- Elliot