Re: Mono and GNOME. The long reply.

On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 20:11, Alan Cox wrote:
    >     If, for example they created a class that dealt entirely with GIF
    >     images specifically there are ways around it; didn't someone implement
    >     GIF without using LZW?
    >
    > ..which gives you a 100k .gif instead of the 3k one since it is not
    > compressed at all, making it practically useless. You dont want to put
    > those GIFs on your website.

    If you are using the proper tools they are not uncompressed they are RLE
    compressed, which for many applications actually comes within 5% of the
    LZW one.

Interesting. I only know that on Debian there is libungif that is a
drop-in replacement for libgif, and at least it used to create
uncompressed files when I tried. This was years ago though.

I'll check it out what it does these days.

Thanks!

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::