Re: Mono and GNOME. The long reply.

Hi Micheal,

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Michael Meeks wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 14:35, Martin Sevior wrote:
> > AbiWord is the only unix
> > application that I know of where you can drag and drop icons from place to
> > place on the toolbars because of this seperation.
>
> 	I don't read this as a killer feature; I read this as a tragedy for
> Gnome - where this could have been done in a generic way, folded back
> into the platform and all Gnome apps would have this feature. Instead,
> just one application has this feature [the only one one unix!].

It never occured to me extend to gtk to enable this. I can see how it
might be possible to do this at the widget level though it would be hard
to come up with a generic API that wouldn't suck.

> > I'm not sure this is true. The OO hackers with around 50 full-time hackers
> > have spent the last 1.5 years just breaking the application up so that not
> > everything appears on the screen at once.
>
> 	And it's easier to hack on / grapple with / understand - but you miss a
> large chunk of other work they've been engaged on.
>
> 	_Personally_ I would not invest time in hacking on AbiWord - beyond
> bonobo-izing it, but I would invest time in making OpenOffice more
> gnome-integrated and gnome-ish :-)

That's great! I'm glad to hear you're back getting back to apps again.

I'll buy you a beer when you get the Open Office load time down to being
merely twice that of AbiWord :-) It should be possible. MS Word can
do it...

I'll buy you another beer when you can get an auto-updating Word Count
going.

Cheers!

Martin

PS. Want to buy me a beer after we implement Tables in AbiWord?