Re: vicious build and pointer arithmetic

On 2/24/02 5:05 PM, "Allin Cottrell" <cottrell wfu edu> wrote:

> I'm building gnome2 using the vicious scripts (nice work).  One snag
> I'm hitting (Linux 2.4.17, glibc 2.2.5, gcc 2.95.3) is the combination
> of -Wpointer-arith and -Werror in some of the Makefiles. gcc generates
> warnings relating to /usr/include/bits/string2.h in respect of
> arithmetic on void * pointers and so if -Werror is set the build
> aborts.

The solution I prefer is to find a glibc headers that doesn't have this
problem in the headers. For example, the Red Hat glibc-devel-2.2.4-13 RPM
doesn't have it. I don't know the pattern for which versions do and don't
have the trouble -- at one point I had assumed that 2.2.4 and newer had it
fixed, but clearly I was mistaken.

There are other more pragmatic, less difficult solutions, like the one Havoc
suggested. Like him, I don't use vicious-build-scripts, so I don't know how
to do it.

    -- Darin