Re: Opening files that start with %

In message <y5wn0so94yt fsf icon devel redhat com>, Havoc Pennington writes:

>Shane OConnor - Sun Ireland <Shane Oconnor Sun COM> writes:

>> It's just been noticed that any file that starts with the '%'
>> character will not open in nautilus, gedit or netscape. As all the
>> gconf xml files start with the '%' character I was wondering if this
>> was a deliberate thing?

>No, it's a bug.

Looks like a bug in gnome-vfs:

GnomeVFSResult  result;
GnomeVFSFileInfo *info;

result = gnome_vfs_get_file_info("%gconf.xml", info, (GNOME_VFS_FILE_INFO_GET_MIME_TYPE | GNOME_VFS_FILE_INFO_FOLLOW_LINKS));

fails.  gnome_vfs_get_file_info() does two things:

1) gnome_vfs_uri_new() "succeeds"
2) gnome_vfs_get_file_info_uri() fails with GNOME_VFS_ERROR_INVALID_URI.

Anybody who wants to debug this thing would be advised to print out uri->text
between (1) and (2) above.

John

--
John GOTTS <jgotts linuxsavvy com>  http://linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts