Re: autoconf 2.53: some weird problem

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 02:51:11AM +0100, Sergey V. Udaltsov wrote:
> So, as an example, take gnome-libs 1.4.1.7 (GNOME 1!), autoconf
> 2.53/automake 1.6. I just upgraded my automake - so errors changed. No
> more complains about LIBOBJS but still ...
>
> $ aclocal -I macros
> aclocal: configure.in: 32: macro `AM_FUNC_ERROR_AT_LINE' not found in
> library

So some automake macro required by gnome-libs is no longer present in
the latest automakes.

Automake and autoconf are perhaps over-actively maintained (i.e.  many
changes from one version to th next) and one of my complaints with them
is that they never offer a "here's how to upgrade from the last version"
document in their tarballs. So I'm not going to be at all surprised that
if you use different versions from those recommended, you will get
strange results.

Basically, don't try to build GNOME 1 with those versions. I can't
remember the exact versions recommended for GNOME 1.4 (been so long
since I built it), but hunt around a little to find them.

[...]
> BTW, is autoconf 2.5x/automake 1.6 supported by GNOME 1?

No, they are not.

Malcolm