Re: new file selector dialog?

On 7 Mar 2002, Luis Villa wrote:

> If it was really that hated maybe someone in the community could
> have or would have taken care of it.

I think maybe the problem here is that a file selector is a very basic
item that is going to be used in almost all apps, while people may
have various diverse ideas on the ideal file selector, depending on
what they are most used to (Motif style, Windows style, whatever).
Personally I (a) find the current GTK file selector works quite well
for me, but (b) have rejected it for my own GTK apps on the grounds
that it's too idiosyncratic and unintuitive for users who are familiar
with other GUI toolkits.  My apps use the GtkExtra file selector under
Linux and the native win32 file selector under Windows (the #ifdefs
are a little bothersome but the results are good).

I guess what we need is for some benevolent dictator to choose an
enhanced design for the GTK file selector and tell us "This is it"
(because there will never be a consensus).

Allin Cottrell.