Re: Small embeddable scripting language ?

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 12:12, Biswapesh Chattopadhyay wrote:
> <snip>

> Jens: Thanks for the great idea about JavaScript - don't know how I
> missed that ! Going through the docs, JS seems to have:
>       1) Pretty familiar syntax
>       2) Lots of developers
>       3) Available on any GNOME platform - thanks to Galeon et al.
>       4) Small and fast
>       5) Actively maintained and well documented
>       6) Easily embeddable
>       7) UTF and Unicode enabled
>
> Seems to fit Anjuta's needs nicely indeed !
>
> Lots of people have been suggesting Python - I intend to give that a
> closer look as well, but currently, JS seems to be the best choice to
> me. Also, standalone build sizes seem to be pretty small as well.

Here are two problems with JS.
1 no namespaces, so calling one script form another isn't going to be
nice.
2. really ugly, its very easy to write hard to read code in js (though
not as easy a some;) ,python code, on the other hand is easy to read so
reuseing other peoples scripts is much eaiser in python than it is in
js.

and a 3 it's difficult to anything more complex in js then a mouse over
(which may not be a problem as I don't really know what sort of things
you want to be able to do with the scripts) .