(no subject)

All installed software is the most recent stable version using Gentoo.

Here's the error I recieve:

"There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background
settings may not work correctly.

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The last error message was:

Failed to activate 'OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next
time you log in"

I have GDM installed and that appears to work properly. I
recieve the error immediately after I login. The Gnome
desktop will NOT come up however, I get a disabled sawfish
(No logout, restart, quit, reboot.)

I've already performed a search on the net for any similar
problems, but the only other problem I found was in
relation to Nautilus.

I've already tried this solution:

"yep, I recently debugged this myself and here's the conclusion:

you have cleaned out /tmp and removed the sockets for OAF and others

shut down X completely
run oaf-slay
gconftool-1 --shutdown
gconftool-2 --shutdown