Re: Building off Medusa

I you're using the dnotify version if FAM it *does* open each directory.

Wait! You're telling me that the command-line program I used last day *did* open each directory of the thousands? It sure didn't feel like it did that.

for the record, that server has FAM using kernel dnotify support.

I should know, since I wrote that code. If you're using imon it doesn't, but then you need to patch your kernel. If you're not using either of them you're polling, which indeed doesn't open each directory, but has resource utilization problems (polling thousands of directories every few seconds? No thanks).