Re: Suggestion for file type detection approach

[replying only to gnome-devel-list now. sorry for the excessive traffic]
> OK, here my proposal:
> We could do two runs. In the first run, we simply don't sniff at all and
> show the files ("Unknown Type"). While it is shown, we could start a
> second run that checks for the MIME type (either by content or by
> extension, is it worth a GConf pref?) and determine the actual file
> type.

Why not sniff file suffix (FORCE_FAST_MIME_TYPE) in the first run?
Providing the user with a list of unknown files is useless.

Also, what to do if the type of a file as detected in the second run is
different from the first?

- Forget about the new type? Forget abot the old one?
- Show some emblem? If so, which icon should be used? The old one or the
  new?
- What to do to open the file? Hmm.

If the stuff is going to be optional, I guess we will need a GUI such
as:

Determine file types by:
	( ) Content
	( ) Suffix
	( ) Both, but content takes precendece
	( ) Both, but suffix takes precedence

Note: ( ) = Radio button

This can be a nautilus option or a global gnome-vfs option. Long life to
gconf!

--
Fabio Gomes de Souza <fabio gs2 com br> (+55 81 9127-0597)

.- GS2 TECNOLOGIA DA INFORMACAO LTDA :: www.gs2.com.br
|- IT Infrastructure :: Security :: Embedded systems :: Linux
`- Olinda, Brazil - +55 81 3492-7777 - negocios gs2 com br