Re: Suggestion for file type detection approach

On Friday 26 December 2003 06:39 pm, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
> Christophe Fergeau <teuf gnome org> writes:
> > I'm thinking about my parents, sisters, neightbours, for whom a
> > computer isn't a really fun toy, but a tool which constantly annoy
> > them while they are trying to get work done.
>
> Hey, thats exactly how I think of filetype detection by content, its
> this annoying little tool that always gets in the way when I will get
> work done =:)

It seems you got more problems than me with mime sniffing, I don't remember
seeing any misdetected files with Nautilus (but I'm not using it heavily, so
that may be why). I think a usable "open with" menu item is a more satisfying
answer to mime type misdetection than choosing between two mime type
detection methods which both can fail.

Christophe