Re: Suggestion for file type detection approach

Peter Lundqvist wrote:
On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, Fabio Gomes wrote:

Em Qui, 2003-12-25 Ã s 14:55, iain escreveu:

Which is more common
a) Files which are badly named?
b) Files which are funny and nautilus sniffs the wrong thing?

Your b) is probably more common.

Whichever is most common is hard to say.
Which causes the most grief, however, is b).

These faults occur when somone missnames a file.

This is based on the assumption that all files would have a suffix, which is not the case historically in UNIX OSs. After all, it is /usr/bin/vi, not /usr/bin/vi.exe

The lower label (if present) shoul perhaps be grayed out to signal that
this is possibly wrong. It would be healthier to assume that one thing is
the most probable to be correct - I'd prefer that to be suffixes.

I would suggest that we don't want two guesses. If we're not sure, take a best guess and add a '?' to the type indicator.

Otherwise, where does it stop?

This file has a name that says it's a jpeg
This files content appears to indicate that it's actually text
This file has a tag which now makes me think it's html...

--
Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric 3times25 net