(no subject)

Hello All!

	[ please CC me - I'm not subscribed ]

	I'm not sure which list should I ask - but in any way,
	since I'm developper by myself - so here it goes.

	I found interesting question on /. here
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/11/15/0819229&mode=thread

	Quote:

I recently found the BusyBox project that combines tiny versions of many
common UNIX utilities into a single small executable. It provides minimalist

replacements for most of the utilities you usually find in GNU fileutils,
shellutils, etc. The utilities in BusyBox generally have fewer options than
their full-featured GNU cousins; however, the options that are included
provide
the expected functionality and behave very much like their GNU counterparts.

As I look through the list of products and projects using BusyBox I find
that
most installers use it (RH, Slackware, Mandrake, Gentoo, etc.) As the
footprint
of this is very small, I came to wonder, are there any other smaller
versions
of common linux software. I found TinyX and the small linux project but I
lack
a proper desktop. Does anyone has a small desktop solution (like KDE or
Gnome)
to recommend. What I'm looking for is a proper desktop solution with common
configurations tools, standardized IPC and common look-and-feel, not just
another window manager.

	It was easy to draw a parallel between BusyBox'n'file-utils
	and Phoenix'n'Mozilla.

	So just a question - is it possible to 'cut down' Gnome environment?
	But leaving main features in place and removing all
bells'n'whistles?
	Last I was checking Gnome/Sawmill - environment was quite complete.
	But I didn't manage to make Debian with Gnome installation less than
	half of gigabyte or so.

	Can anyone comment on this?

--- With respect  Ihar "Philips" Filipau AKA Igor Philippov, and Phil for
friends

MCS/Mathematician - System Programmer
Ihar Filipau
Software entwickler @ SUSS MicroTec Test Systems GmbH,
Suss-Strasse 1, D-01561 Sacka (bei Dresden)
e-mail: ifilipau sussdd de  tel: +49-(0)-352-4073-327
fax: +49-(0)-352-4073-700   web: http://www.suss.com/