Re: custom key bindings

gnome-devel-list-request gnome org writes:

 > On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 05:00, Matt Rosing wrote:
 > > I'm thinking of building a gnome app and am first trying to figure out
 > > if it's needed and can be done.  Within sawfish, the user can write
 > > custom keyboard shortcuts to raise or lower specific windows, such as
 > > raise an xterm window and the one picked is the most recently used
 > > that's not on top.  I find this very useful as I don't like using the
 > > mouse to do this type of stuff, it really slows down flipping through
 > > windows.  The problem is sawfish2 doesn't really work with gnome2 and
 > > I'd rather stick with the default, that is now metacity.
 > [...]
 >
 > Without wishing to rain on your parade, are you aware that most of this
 > functionality already exists? Have a look at the "Keyboard Shortcuts"
 > option in your "Preferences" menu.
 >
 > Cheers,
 > Malcolm

Nobody's raining on my parade for 3 reasons. One, if this worked the
way I wanted I'd just use it. As I said, I don't want to do this if I
don't have to. Second, I have looked at the keyboard shortcuts and
they don't appear to do what I want. Third, if someone else wants to
do this I'd be very happy.

I want one shortcut that will only cycle through windows labeled
"emacs" and another shortcut that will only cycle through windows
labeled "xterm". In metacity the alt-tab shortcut cycles through all
windows. I can change that to some other key sequence but I can't
create a new command to just cycle through the windows I'm interested
in. I typically have 2 or 3 xterms and 1 or 2 emacs windows and 6 to
10 windows. With specific shortcuts I can get the window I want in 1
or 2 key strokes instead of wading through the whole pile.

I hope this clears things up.

Matt