Re: panel applet from shell

From: Jacob Gladish <gladish spinnakernet com>
To: gnome-devel-list gnome org
Subject: panel applet from shell
Date: 02 Sep 2003 19:22:27 -0400

I'm working on a very simple gnome2 panel applet, and am having lots of
difficulty. I basically have two questions.

First, is there a way to launch an applet from a shell? Everytime I try,
the process runs, but never does anything useful. I've tried different
args like --oaf-private and --sm-disable with no affect. I thought it
might be having difficulty with the orb since other applets running seem
to have a file descriptor to work with. That's why I thougt the
--oaf-private may have some affect. The --sm-disable was pretty much in
desperation.

It's very simple. Just start the applet with no arguments, but then add the applet in the normal fashion with the right click menu.

Second, I installed both a .server file under "/usr/lib/bonobo/servers",
and a .xml under /usr/share/gnome-2.0/ui/, and I still don't have an
entry to launch my applet from the context menu by right-clicking the
panel. I have both a panel:category, and panel:icon element in the
server file. Is there a way to turn some tpe of debugging on for the
panel to why there's no entry?

I don't think so, have you tried just modifing a .server file from another applet like fish? The format should be pretty straight forward.

Regards,
Kevin

I'm using redhat9, with all stock libs.

thanks