pango and drawing text

Can someone provide an example or hint on how to begin drawing text on
the root window using pango? I've seen the gtk docs common questions
about drawing text.The problem I see there, is that a GtkWidget is
passed into the call to:

    gtk_widget_create_pango_layout( GtkWidget*, conat gchar* );

Presumably this it the widget you are about to draw text on, but
the docs say that the widget is used for creating a colormatp, font
description, and direction of text. Could this be any GtkWidget?

The other possibility is to create the layout from a GdkWindow. Can this
be done?

thanks
-jake