Re: Benchmarks: Linux Registry (from the author)

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 08:00:13PM -0300, Avi Alkalay wrote:
> Letting ext3's cache work more will improve this times.

i think it already is working. it is plain impossible to read more than
a thousand files in 200 ms from cold cache.
apart from that the memory consumption is beyond reason: given a usual
4kb block size, you see a memory usage of 4MeBytes + the inode cache
(how much that is depends on how the nodes are scattered).
these numbers certainly look differently with reiserfs (and some other
FSs, which are clever enough to store very small files directly in the
inodes), but this is no realistic requirement; neither for anything but
linux, nor even linux only.

greetings