Gnome Desktop Language

Hello all,
I'm new to this list, just subscribed today. I've been using gnome for
a long time now, started with v1.4.
As you may have figured out, this mail is about a Gnome desktop language.

After reading an (old) article on zdnet.co.uk, I heard about this
subject and decided to see how this discussion has evolved in the
Gnome community.

Unfortunately, this is the only thread I found in the archive.
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-March/msg00593.html

My personal favorite is Java. I've been programming java for a year or
so and have really grown to like it.Mono isn't really a candidate for
me, as it's to much a M$ product.

In the thread I read in the archives, Java isn't seen as a candidate.
I think this isn't true. Java is a very good candidate to become the
official Gnome Desktop Language.
Instead of waiting for Sun or IBM to release their JDK under an oss
license, the Gnome community should contact Sun or IBM and try to
convice them to release Java or the JDK under an oss license.
Anyone with common sence should realise that incoporating java into
Gnome can only be a good thing. For both the Java and Gnome community.
As things are going, Java will be dead in a couple of years and .Net
will controll most of the software around.
Using Java as the Gnome desktop language can change this. It will make
Gnome development more accisible to others, thus creating more
applications for Gnome and increasing the use of Java.

As said before, Mono isn't really a candidate for me. I think that
there is to many risc that Microsoft will slow down or halt Mono (and
Gnome) development with lawsuits and such. I haven't read much about
the subject so I can't really give valid reasons/facts for this.

Well, this were just my two cents.
I hope to hear what you think about it.