Re: new mime detection approach

Le mer 14/01/2004 à 18:54, Alexander Larsson a écrit :
> On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 18:14, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> > Le mer 14/01/2004 à 17:57, Alexander Larsson a écrit :
> >
> > > I'm sure some people will dislike this behaviour
> >
> > I'm sure too. And it does nothing for the many filetypes which can be
> > thumbnailed - and there will be more and more of them.
>
> What do you mean by that?

To thumbnail a file, you have to call the right thumbnailer. Will you
then only rely on the regexp to call it ?

> > I think you both gave it lots of thoughts, so why didn't you go with a
> > proper metadata system, correctly filled by compliant apps when they
> > save their files, and re-sniffed only when necessary ?
>
> How would such a metadata system work? If it uses a file per file, or
> EAs then it would instantly be as slow as sniffing. If it used a
> metadata system with e.g. one file per directory it could be fast, but
> that adds a *lot* of complexity with locking and consistancy handling,
> file permissions, and possible out-of-process communication. There has
> been thoughs about a common metadata system, but they are far from near
> implementation, and there are many issues to solve.

Yes, I was thinking about this kind of metadata. Do you mean that the
regexp solution is a kind of stop-gap measure, and that nautilus would
adopt the common metadata system once it's working ?

	Xav