Re: Suggestion for file type detection approach

Xavier Bestel <xavier bestel free fr> writes:

>> Or something similar to md5 checksum
>
> That's silly: imagine recomputing the md5sums of a folder containing 30G
> of video data (I have one of those). Unconditionally re-sniffing the
> files would be 100000 times faster, at least.

The md5sum would only be interesting if the filesystem itself would
keep track of it and recalculate it if a file-changed (could be very
handy for 'rsync -c' and similar stuff like that). But sure, for the
sniffing problem md5sum won't help.

JabberID: grumbel jabber org
ICQ:      59461927