Couple of gnomecanvas questions

I'm coding a simple whiteboard software with gtk and for now I have done drawing using Gdk::Pixmap and GtkDrawingArea. But now I need also alpha supportand antialiasing wouldn't hurt either =). I didn't want to do this by my own so I found libart and gnomecanvas which seemed perfect.

After reading gnomecanvas API docs I got the idea that it's purely meant for vector graphics? Is there any way to just draw those lines, points etc. with gnomecanvas and after that threat them as "pure pixels" ?

Vectors isn't the main problem but I would need some sort of method to draw and erase them freely like in GIMP not just deleting whole item.

Tuomas Peippo