Re: how much bonobo

On Tue, 2005-05-04 at 07:02 -0300, Pipo wrote:
> El mar, 05-04-2005 a las 06:49, Rahul Sundaram escribi� > Hi
> >

> > > But, here in this list i found that is not so true.
> > > Here i get advised
> > > that many applications like nautilus don't use
> > > bonobo anymore.
> > >
> > > I just want to know why is that 'pilosophy' change.
> >
> > the philosophy hasnt changed as much as the
> > implementation has. Bonobo was found to be a heavy
> > weight IPC mechanism and it was not designed to work
> > across desktop environments.
> Sorry, but is not bonobo built over CORBA to work across desktop
> environments ?

CORBA works across... well supposedly anything in theory. CORBA is nice
but its strength is its weakness. People don't use it because its
difficult to program and debug. DBus is simpler in most desktop cases,
so many instances where bonobo was used are being replaced by DBus, but
bonobo is NOT going away, just being used less.

Also, I think G.N.O.M.E. was just a clever way to spell Gnome cuz it
sounds like GNU and its funny and Miguel liked it. Network Objects were
a nice idea, but really there is no philosophy (besides making a cool
desktop).