Re: can't create new thread if network is running

>I've built Gnome from cvs head, and I find most apps hang up if I'm
>running any ethernet devices (i.e. lan or cable modem).
>Using gdb they all seem to hang up at this point :-
>
>Starting program: /usr/bin/gedit
>[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
>[New Thread -1226751872 (LWP 14377)]
>
>hangs up here..
>i.e. can't seem to create new threads. Same thing if gedit is already
>running and I try to use the file picker..
>Only exception seems to be gnome-stystem-monitor, gets past this point
>ok if the network is up.
>Kernel=2.6.12.mm2
>Any suggestions on where to look ?
>Thanks
>Rod
>
>--

Hi.

This looks like problem with DNS setup, probably you dns doesn't resolve localhost.localdomain or something like it. But actually it looks like a bug and should be investigated.

I am not sure that the problem is in starting thread. I think it's somewhere on new thread that locks. Can you reproduce lock, attach to process with gdb and then collect backtrace with 'thread apply all backtrace' gdb command.

Read
http://live.gnome.org/GettingTraces

It can give some clues for us.