Gnome panel applet loading problem

Hello all,

I've run into a problem trying to get an applet running in the GNOME
panel. It is written in python, but I don't think that is what's causing the trouble (in of itself). I've already posted to the pygtk mailing list, but no one seemed to be able to help. I've found a number of matches on the net that mention the error message I'm getting, but nothing I can find that states the cause.

Thanks for any help that can point me in the right direction.

Here is part of the message to the pygtk list:

Being new to panel applets, I started with the tutorial "Gnome applets with Python" at http://www.pygtk.org/articles/applets_arturogf/

Running the sample python code with the matching .server file from the first page yields the following error in a dialog:

> The panel encountered a problem while loading
> OAFIID:GNOME_PysampleApplet".
>
> Details: Failed to resolve, or extend
> '!prefs_key=/apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/applet_1/
> prefs;background=none:;orient=down;size=small;locked_down=false
>
> Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?

Under GConf, applet_1 (or any succesively created entry) does not have a "prefs" directory, whereas other applets such as clock do have one.

Is this a python binding problem or a GConf problem?

I can't seem to find anything in the documentation or in gnome bugzilla. A Google search finds a number of matches describing this error message, but nothing definitive regarding the cause.

Anybody have any idea as to what's going on here?

I'm running Fedora Core 3 with all updates:

  python-2.3.4-13.1 & python-devel-2.3.4-13.1
  gtk2-2.4.14-3.fc3 & gtk2-devel-2.4.14-3.fc3
  gnome-python2-2.6.0-3 & and friends (gnome-python-bonobo, etc.)
  pygtk2-2.4.1-fc3.1 & pygtk2-devel-2.4.1-fc3.1
  pygtk2-libglade-2.4.1-fc3.1
  pyorbit-2.0.1-1 & pyorbit-devel-2.0.1-1