GtkTextView geometry

Greetings,

I don't know if this is the right list for this so if not I apologize in
advance.

Let's say I want to create a GtkTextView that has a set size at startup
(regardless of its contents).  Let's also say that I want the size of
the GtkTextView to remain the same when I append text to it.  I'd also
like it to have horiz and vertical scrollbars that can be used to scroll
around in the associated GtkTextBuffer while the GtkTextView remains the
same size.

How would I go about setting this up?

Thanks,
FM