key shortcuts

hello
I have made a software  which on installation does something like xrefresh.

I have to set hotkeys for it such that the application runs on pressing a key combination.
How can this be done...
Also, the user who installs the software is not required to set the Hot keys. That means some script etc which sets the keys for
him automatically is also needed.....

I could do this in KDE by setting KHotkeys or making a script for that. But am left with Gnome still. Someone please guide me soon.....
Thanx
Neha