Deprecated gnome-config

Hi all.

I'd been using an old reference guide it seems - now I suddenly find that
all the gnome-config things are deprecated:

"gnome_config_set_float is deprecated and should not be used in
 newly-written code."

I've been up and down that document, and I cannot find what should be
used or what is recommended. Did some (unsuccessful) googling too...

Does anyone know what the recommended substitute is? For example, I
haven't found xml functions that are as easy to use... Certainly
none that permit partial updates.

John