session managment, open documents

Hello,

is it good to think about restoring a closed application into its state
when it was last running, by the same user in the same gnome session ?

I mean reloading all the documents which were opened when the app was
closed.

I come to the thought because i have to re-open all my windows, click
all the settings to get the state back after a re-compile in the
development process. This is annoying, so i think if it is usefull for
an end user.

If yes, do i have to connect such an approach to the session management,
or by gconf entries, or both? Maybe there is a mechanism ready in one of
the Gnome libs, and i haven't looked hard enough for it, sorry.

Thank you for any hints.

Torsten