From: Suresh Packiyarajah <suresht fedoraproject org>
Date: Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 11:09 PM
Subject: Re: Gnome 3 Feedback
To: Zdeněk <wdolek gmail com>

Hello Zdenke,

thanks for your feedback i will forward to gnome mailing list and keep updating to you once our developers viewing this.

Thank You.

Best Regards,

Suresh

- ---

Fedora Ambassador - Sri Lanka.

gpg-0x071DDF70

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Suresht

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Zdeněk <wdolek gmail com> wrote:
Hello!

First of all, Gnome 3 is fine! Good work, I appreciate it, but still I
have some "troubles" with that.
Not related to bugs - this is rather lack of features. This evolution is
more "revolution" - and I'm little bit conservative.

I post some thougts to GNOME Facebook page, sending it to you by mail:

----

Gnome 3 adds clicks/key holds to usual things I can get on single
clicking in G2, there are some things which are driving me crazy
(dynamic workspaces, huge icons, no taskbar, no minimize button, no
clear view of started apps) or just annoys me (fancy animations,
switching views when go to activities...).

I was thinking about making some "use case" of my own, and post it
somewhere, problem is, I don't have much time now. (Comparing my habits
in Gnome 2 with Gnome 3 - and how I don't like some solutions + how fast
is my work in G2 and how much more I have to do for same thing in G3)...

----

case 1, run application from panel shortcut:
- G2: 1 click
- G3: 1 click "activities", 1 click app (because in G3 I can't put icon
to panel at all)

case 2, maximize application:
- G2: 1 click to app in taskbar
- G3: 1 click to "activities", 1 click to small window on pane

case 3, switch to another workspace by clicking:
- G2: 1 click to panel's applet
- G3: 1 click activities, 1 click workspace

case 4, minimize application:
- G2: 1 click to "minimize"
- G3: 1 right-click to title, 1 click to context option

case 5, maximizing window by clicking "maximize":
- G2: 1 click
- G3: N/A - drag window, move it, drop (or 1 right click, 1 context
click)

case 6, shut down:
- G2: 1 click on "System", 1 click on "Shut down", 1 click button
- G3: 1 click to user, holding Alt(?), 1 click option (now, I have to
put my hand to keyboard to do this)

... or in G3 - log out && shut down - ridiculous!

case 7, running application more times:
- G2: 1 click to icon (1st run), 1 click to icon (2nd run)
- G3: 1 click to icon (1st run), holding Ctrl + 1 click to icon (2nd
run) (again, have to move second hand to keyboard to do this)

and imagine situation, in G2 I click to icon in panel! it is even worse
in G3, because every time I click icon, activities got closed and I have
to open it again

----

After all, I could continue with dynamic workspaces, which are not best
too for me - I have space:

1 for app A,
2 for app B,
3 for app C,
and so on...

Sometimes, I don't run app C, so my 3rd workspace is just empty - but
app D is still on workspace 4.

In G3, when workspace doesn't have any app, it is removed completely,
which causes shrinking of workspaces - so I have to be really focused,
where to switch - not just simple click to place I'm habituated.

(this is just example, of course I run more apps on each workspace)

----

Then I found disturbing every time I click "activities", whole view is
changed - causing blinking from dark to bright environment.

I can't touch menu as is without any damn effect/animation of windows.
Why?! This is just eyceandy and unnecessary stuff to me.

---

Well, I think this is all what I can recall now.

Bye
Zdenek

Yay, on last mail, I described case 2 wrong, it meant to be:

case 2, showing minimized application (to bring it back to view):