Re: [gnome-network]File sharing from Nautilus

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 12:01 +0100, Carlos Morgado wrote:
> On 2003.08.28 11:20, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
>

> > yeah. Running our own server makes things very tricky, since you can't
> > have more than user running the server, due to using the same port (or,
> > if you don't use the same port, then, it's a mess, since users need to
> > know which port other users are using).
> >

> The sharing advertisements/query would certainly involve URLs so running
> stuff in odd ports shouldn't be a problem. What could be a problem is a)
> everybody running a http server (however this could be cleverly masqed by
> http-server-in-shlib) and b) http not being good at all for sharing files

I was looking into the Zeroconf/rendezvous stuff, and found out Mandrake
has support for that. Is that a free implementation?

> > > The problem with having a system deamon is that:
> > > a) it is a security risk. This could definiatly be done securly but it
> > > is harder
> > >
> > yes, but in any case, there are plans to have such a daemon, not only
> > for this, but for things like knowing when a network card has been
> > started/stopped, etc
> >

> this are *totally* diferent things. a daemon to handle network filesystems is
> a totally diferent beast from an hardware notification manager. also, there
> already are hardware notification managers.

well, the daemon would serve as an entry point for users to a lot of
system management tasks, not only hardware notifications.

> > if we use the daemon, we just have to send a message to it, to tell it
> > 'share this folder for user x'. If no daemon, then I guess using
> > symbolic links, or, if not possible, a synchronized copy (we could use
> > fam on the server to detect when there are changes on the dirs being
> > shared, and sync the copy when this happens) might work.
> >

> you mean, I need another 20G to share my mp3 collection with my wife ?

right, syncing is a bad idea :-)

cheers