Re: Syncing photos

A blanket ban won't be hard to do at all, and we can implement converters for other formats as we think of them.

That's not as easy as you might think... not without any documentation on the file formats used by these proprietary application vendors, and not when these vendors threaten to sue if you release a FLOSS tool that can read/deconstruct/reconstruct their proprietary data format.

I ran into this with Kodak several years ago at Palmsource, and one of their representatives directly threatened me in front of about 15 bystanders, when I asked if they wanted to collaborate on writing a conduit in pilot-link to extract their images from their image database.

This is definitely something that should be implemented because compiling par and using it are not something newbies want to do. It also doesn't take much new code, so it won't take long.

Every format is completely unique, and every version tends to be just as unique. Photos v1.0 is different from Photos v2.0 for example, and Photos v1.0 on a Sony device is not the same as Photos v1.0 on a Palm device.

It gets complicated when you have to rewrite complete conduit logic from scratch, after reverse-engineering every byte-on-the-wire for each app and each version.

--
David A. Desrosiers
desrod gnu-designs com