Re: Why Favorites are not on the top bar?

On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 11:04 -0500, Ryan Peters wrote:
> On 05/06/2011 08:46 AM, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> > Since top bar still exists, and the place where icons used to be
> > now is not used for anything, what about making it possible
> > to have Favorites *there*
> There are a lot of different screen sizes; some are big and some are
> very small. GNOME 3 wants to be usable on a wide variety of screens, so
> the top bar is not "user-owned", but instead "system-owned". This is
> much easier to manage from a developer's standpoint (less odd bugs,
> simpler to code, etc.), and it also gives GNOME 3 a consistent visual
> identity, making support much easier.

True, and awesome.  Even on a single device the screen size can change.
If I plug my laptop into a projector or external monitor the screen size
can change - this resulting in a complete mess in GNOME2.  With GNOME3,
with all the useful bits moved to someplace standard, the design
gracefully adapts.

>  The dock for the favorites list is just as fast
> to reach (especially if you use the Windows/Super key)

+1

> and it's easier
> to click, especially with a low-precision input device like a laptop
> touch pad, or even on a touch-screen device like an iPad.

All valid; use with a touch pad is much improved [although I still plug
in a mouse as soon as possible; that isn't GNOME's fault].