Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] dc10+

Quoting Damien Sandras (sandras student info ucl ac be):

> That's not normal....
> Sander will confirm us. I thought that 0.85 was in woody.

> > > Btw, woody is shipping with 0.85.1 ...
> > Package: gnomemeeting
> > Section: non-US
> > Version: 0.12.2-2

I fear I have bad news.

The selection process of what gets into woody, and what doesn't is based
on the age of, and the number of grave / serious bugs on the package
(which Gnomemeeting obviously didn't have except for a couple of
packaging bugs that were fixed very short after the bug was submitted).
but it also depends on wether the package builds on a specific set of
architectures in Debian. And there were some problems compiling
GnomeMeeting on hppa, ia64, s390 and other 'vague' architectures.

Sometimes this was causes by the GnomeMeeting code, sometimes it was
caused because of lacking build dependencies, but this all added
together made that Version 0.12.2-2 was the last version to successfully
build on most architectures and with the least serious bugs filed
against it, so that version made it into Woody.

I have exactly the same problem with another package of mine (Snort).

Also, there's not much I can do about it. I can't just uplaod 0.85 or
even newer versions to 'stable' (woody), because there must be a good
reason before such a package-upload to the stable distribution gets
accepted. Usually this happens when there's security flaws or when the
package is unusable. And 'they' (the Debian release managers) prefer
that you upload the same version that was in woody, but with the fixed
compiled in. :(

---
What I *CAN* do however is supply you (Damien) with a full set of signed
GnomeMeeting 0.85.1 packages + sourcepackages that were built against
the woody versions of all the libraries that you can put on your website
in such a way that people can use an URL in their apt's sources.list to
install.
---

I know it's not the nicest way to go, but I fear there's nothing else I
can do about it :(

Let me know.

Kind regards,
Sander.